To install VMware Tools on an Ubuntu 14.04 server, use the following instructions:
1) From Virtual Centre, go to Virtual Machine > Install VMware Tools (or VM > Install VMware Tools).
2) Create a directory to mount the CD-ROM by running the command:
sudo mkdir /mnt/cdrom
When prompted for a password, enter your Ubuntu admin user password.
3) Mount the CD-ROM by running the command:
sudo mount /dev/cdrom /mnt/cdrom
4) The file name of the VMware Tools bundle varies depending on your version of the VMware product. Run this command to find the exact name:
5) Extract the contents of the VMware Tools bundle by running the command:
tar xzvf /mnt/cdrom/VMwareTools-x.x.x-xxxx.tar.gz -C /tmp/
Note: x.x.x-xxxx is the version discovered in the previous step.
6) Change directories into the VMware Tools distribution by running the command:
7) Install VMware Tools by running the command:
sudo ./vmware-install.pl -d
Note: The -d switch assumes that you want to accept the defaults. If you do not use -d, press Return to accept each default or supply your own answers.
8) Run this command to reboot the virtual machine after the installation completes: